RV Emergency Road Service

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / How to redact my profile
« Last post by EnalaymnLoosy on September 01, 2016, 04:43:00 AM »

Mission accomplished. It's splendid.
General Discussion / motorhome brands
« Last post by tagcat on December 20, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »
    Good morning everyone,We are going to Texas for the next week to recon motorhomes  (and visit my 92yr old mother for christmas)  There a lot of them to look at,then we may go to Florida.
 My question is, we have been looking at the tiffin brand does anyone have one or know anything about them. We are taking our time to find one and get educated on motorhomes. This is going to be our full time home,so we will choose carefully.
   I have had a hard time typing the letters in the box.I have tried the short cuts--alt+s ,no luck.I am using a mac does this make a difference? I can not tell if the letters are cap or not.
General Discussion / Re: very new to this
« Last post by tagcat on December 20, 2013, 07:07:04 AM »
   Thank you.We are going to do a lot of traveling  to look at a lot of motor homes.I have been a carpenter for 30 years so i have a lot of stuff to get rid of,already started though
General Discussion / Re: very new to this
« Last post by Steven on December 20, 2013, 03:25:04 AM »

The best advice I can offer is:

Do NOT let your excitement cloud your better judgement.

Keep doing your research. If you find a motorhome that strikes your interest visit the owners group forum, read the posts and ask questions.

Take your time. You need to actually see and walk through dozens of motorhomes of all brands and floor plans to really know what you want and are ready to make a decision on what to buy. If you're not holding yard sales or hauling stuff to the thrift shop you should be visiting RV dealers and for sale by owners ads.

Don't rush to buy a motorhome if your house sells before you really know what you want. Extend the escrow period if you can. You can stay in a motel suite or maybe with relatives... there are options.

Don't put "stuff" in storage. Except for very few special things like family heirlooms everything you will not put in the motorhome should be disposed of. I know way too many fulltimers who have paid rent on a storage locker for years and when they finally get to cleaning it out realized most everything in it had little or nor value. It's aways a bigger headache that disposing of the stuff in the first place.

That should give you some things think about.

Steven
General Discussion / very new to this
« Last post by tagcat on December 20, 2013, 12:56:10 AM »
    Well here it goes.We are spending the next few months looking at buying a motorhome,for full time.We will be homeless(selling house and all) by spring we will need a motorhome to live in full time and pull our truck.
This is all new to us i do not know squat about motor homes ,so been doing a lot of research.We are going to buy used low miles(there are a lot of them out there) So any advice on your experience would be much appreciated.
We have been on the web and found several 42' tiffins phaeton 42 qrh 4 slide outs tag axel,etc.Willing to look at any brand that will hold up to full time.
 Our house is on the market,but want to buy motorhome soon so we can get the hang of it.
we are very excited about making the choice to make this plunge.I am an artist so that will go with us make a few shows,etc.

Looking forward to hearing from you.Tim.   P.S. any one want a really nice house in the ozarks south of fayetteville,Ar lol
General Discussion / Re: Motorhome Gas or Diesel
« Last post by technobody on July 20, 2013, 06:39:57 AM »
Thank you but if you don't own a motor home or a diesel what are you basing your information on? You have stated the obvious that I'm already aware of. I'm looking for real life experience, not speculation.
General Discussion / Re: Motorhome Gas or Diesel
« Last post by Steven on July 17, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »
I don't own a motorhome or a diesel truck but the decision to go gas or diesel crosses the the motorhome trailer tow vehicle line and has the same pro and cons regardless.

The biggest issue is the premium you'll pay to get a diesel powered rig. You'll pay $20,000 or more for a diesel versus a gas motorhome all other thing being mostly equal. Granted there are other pluses to a diesel... a better chassis with greater GVWR and with all the come with it.

Another con is the high cost of engine and chassis service and repair. Everything on a diesel chassis seems to cost way more to fix that a gas rig.

You'll get better fuel milage and have more power with a diesel. But unless you are going to travel thousands of miles a year the fuel cast savings will be offset by the premium paid for the diesel in the first place.

Unless you''ll be traveling extensively in mountainous county all the power may be overkill.

I think it all comes down to how long you plan to own the motorhome and how many miles you plan to drive it.  With longer ownership and more miles traveled the more likely you are to get you moneys worth from a diesel motorhome.

Hopefully a few forum members who have worked through the decision already will share their thoughts.
General Discussion / Motorhome Gas or Diesel
« Last post by technobody on July 17, 2013, 05:57:00 AM »
My wife and I will soon be jumping into the world of full time RVers. It took us nearly two years looking at Travel Trailers and 5th wheels trying to decide which would be the most practical to meet our needs. We quickly ruled out a travel trailer because we didn't find any that had sufficient storage room room. Then we began the search for a Fifth Wheel. In my mind I wanted the Ford F150 with Eco Boost. Even though it had the highest tow rating for a 1/2 ton pickup it still didn't have enough power for the 5th wheels we really liked. That meant a 3/4 ton pick-up instead. Now we had the cost of both a truck and the RV. Through our long decision making process, we have tossed the entire trailer scenario and have been researching Class A motor homes. However we are now really scratching our heads as to whether it should be gas or diesel.   I drive a diesel bus for a living so I'm pretty comfortable about size. My dilemma comes from whether we find the floor plan we want first and then get it in a gas or a diesel version, or decide upon a gas or diesel unit and then find a floor plan we like.

I guess my question to those owning a motor home if it's gas do you wish you went with diesel and why and conversely if you have a diesel do you wish you went with gas and why. I know some of the logical pros and cons but I would rather hear the real life experiences. Thanks for your insight.

General Discussion / Re: Do all 5th wheels "fall apart" after travelling?
« Last post by rumiakthar on November 09, 2012, 07:42:56 AM »
After our first long trip last summer, the blinds on our picture windows, all wooden, which seems a ridiculous thing to put in an RV for travel, broke (cords that tied slats together broke, and slats broke), the latch for our shower doors failed and a glass door shattered (again, why put in glass doors), the oven door is sprung, the lights no longer work in our fireplace, our sofa bed with airmattress  (can't sit up in be without falling backwards (why isn't there a way to keep this from happening), plus the material has torn from opening the bed up.Image masking
General Discussion / Do all 5th wheels "fall apart" after travelling?
« Last post by travelingal on November 05, 2012, 04:29:50 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to this forum.  My husband and I became full-time RVer's last December.  We love the lifestyle, but are dismayed at how our brand new 5th wheel began to give us trouble right away.  It was beautiful at the RV lot, and not inexpensive.  We told the salesman that we were going to become full-timers (had dreamed about this for years), and asked which RV he would recommend.  He showed us this model, and we fell in love. 
The first thing that went wrong was cosmetic, but discouraging nonetheless.  We have door handles on the doors to our bedroom and bathroom, and the cover plates fell off within a day.  My husband contacted the RV dealer and we were told there is no way to fix them, that that is to be expected.  We didn't expect it!  Next, we had trouble putting water in our holding tank.  We found out that the manufacturers weren't installing it correctly, and did get promised it would get fixed. 
After our first long trip last summer, the blinds on our picture windows, all wooden, which seems a ridiculous thing to put in an RV for travel, broke (cords that tied slats together broke, and slats broke), the latch for our shower doors failed and a glass door shattered (again, why put in glass doors), the oven door is sprung, the lights no longer work in our fireplace, our sofa bed with airmattress  (can't sit up in be without falling backwards (why isn't there a way to keep this from happening), plus the material has torn from opening the bed up.  The bathroom sink, glass bowl (again, isn't there a non-glass option?) is so heavy, the pipe under it broke, so no bathroom sink can be used.  There is a leak in our slideout.  The curtain rod in a closet broke (why can't they put in a middle brace?). 
Are these problems to be expected?  Also, service centers are so busy you have to wait months to get your RV in and then, unbeknownst to us, you have to leave it there a week, and that's just for diagnosis.  Have to wait more months to get it fixed. 
Are there others out there that see a problem with this system?  Is there any recourse for having an RV that falls apart?  We just get told, "you chose this lifestyle, and this is what you have to expect".  Is that true?
I am disappointed, but not with the lifestyle.  We have seen amazing scenery and hosted up in Alaska last summer-a dream come true.  Am I expecting too much?
Thank you for looking at this.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10