RV Emergency Road Service

Author Topic: full time want-a-be  (Read 26148 times)

Joanna

full time want-a-be
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:07:31 AM »
 ::)Hello everyone! my husband and I are selling our home and are going to buy a fifth wheel.
I have a few questions, 1: is it better to go to Fl. and get our domicile address first before buying the rv?
2: do you have to take a written test when changing your license to that state?
3: Can ya get a loan like this without haveing a house as an address?
I hope you all can help me!
 thanks!!! ;D

LindaH

• Old Timer
Re: full time want-a-be
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »
::)1: is it better to go to Fl. and get our domicile address first before buying the rv?
If you no longer have any ties to your current state (i.e., you are not working or do not own a house in which you live), then the answer to your question would be yes...get your mail forwarding address set up first and register your vehicle in your new state of domicile.  Check with your new state of domicile to see how much time is allowed to lapse between registering a vehicle and when you have to get your driver's license (in South Dakota, for example, that period of time is 90 days...I don't know what it is in Florida).
I'm not familiar with Florida driver's licensing rules...hopefully, someone here is domiciled in Florida and can answer that question for you.  Alternatively, you could call Florida DMV and ask.
We first started fulltiming back in 1998.  During that time we've purchased RVs and automobiles, all using our mail forwarding address, without a problem.  We never advertised the fact that the address was a mail forwarding address (always used "#" instead of "PMB") and we never advertised that we were fulltime RVers.  Had we been asked, we would have told the truth, but the questions never came up.

junglejim0745

• Old Timer
    • JJandPnutsTravels
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:41:50 PM »
::)Hello everyone! my husband and I are selling our home and are going to buy a fifth wheel.
I have a few questions, 1: is it better to go to Fl. and get our domicile address first before buying the rv?

(Answer from JJ.  Many do it both ways, we were fulltiming for about six months before we established our Texas domicile with SKP.)

(Answer from JJ. Like Linda I do not know about Florida, but we did not have to take a written test in Texas and I switched a Class A CDL when we did ours.)

(Answer from JJ. There are lots of theories about obtaining loans as fulltimers, we have fulltimed for about 8 years now and have obtained loans for new vehicles, a winter home, general purpose we need money loans, term loans, etc. etc. We have never had any problem obtaining loans and we always make it clear we are first and foremost FULL TIME RVers. Good luck in your venture.)
I hope you all can help me!
 thanks!!! ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:43:38 PM by junglejim0745 »
Freedom is not free, but it is worth fighting for!

bajagirl1

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »
Joanna,
            We also sold our house but had bought and paid for the RV in the months before so I don’t know about loans.
It was so nice to downsize and get rid of 30 years of accumulation, now we can start again. I went to South Dakota three months before house sold and got my license, registration and mail service. As long as your current license has not lapsed it was a 10 minute change of states.
This is our 5th month of full-timing and we love it....Donna