RV Emergency Road Service

Author Topic: advice on California inland foothills trip  (Read 2984 times)

bajagirl1

• Senior
advice on California inland foothills trip
« on: November 13, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »
Years ago, my DH and I happened got off the beating path in our car while traveling up the central valley hwy 5. We went inland to Coalinga then took Los Gatos rd north, which for no apparent reason changed to Coalinga Rd then to Airline hwy 25 all the way thru some absolutely beautiful foothills to Hollister, Ca.
It has been so long, I can't remember if it is suitable for a 40'MH? Has anyone done this trip and would you like to post or email
about your experiences?
Thanks, Donna

Steven

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
Re: advice on California inland foothills trip
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »
If you are referring to hwy 198 to hwy 25 --- it's been several years since we drove the route and we did it as a day trip in the pickup. I remember it as a pleasant and very scenic drive. We also stopped at Pinnacles State Park. Like I said it's been a while but I don't remember having any issues with the road. It is a two-lane country road but there was very little traffic on it (back then) so you shouldn't have a problem. I just looked at the Google Maps satellite view and it appears well paved... maybe better than I remember it. It's somewhat winding so you may want to allow more time and drive a little slower.

Thousand Trails give it as a rout to their park on hwy 25 just south of Hollister and they are pretty good about advising members of bad routes.

If your are comfortable driving the motorhome on two-lane country roads then I say go for it.

bajagirl1

• Senior
Re: advice on California inland foothills trip
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »
Thanks Steven...I'm going for it.