RV Emergency Road Service

Author Topic: My first motorhome  (Read 4195 times)

HappyNomad

• Junior
My first motorhome
« on: November 27, 2011, 06:45:41 PM »
After having been homeless for a few years and living in my van I've managed to find employment and have been able to purchase a cheap  class B motorhome (its a fixer upper). I plan on getting solar panels put on it as well as get satelite internet. This really was the only option for me due to excessively high rents across the country, especially here in Los Angeles. I see a lot of people living in motorhomes here in Los Angeles, and suspect it's going to become "normal" for a lot of people in the country. RV parks are pretty expensive (almost as much as rent :( ) so I'll most likely be parking on sidestreets and avoiding staying in one place to long. One great thing about having an RV is I'll be able to have some privacy and won't have to spend all my free time in coffee shops.

I am incredibly grateful that the RV subculture is genuinely more community based than what I'd expected  :D I look forward to learning a lot here.

junglejim0745

• Old Timer
    • JJandPnutsTravels
Re: My first motorhome
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »
Many people are doing many things to make it now days, just be careful where you park so you don't get in trouble with the law, or find a friend who has a large driveway that will let you pull in at night and sleep. Some have said that hospital emergency room parking lots are quite friendly as long as you don't overstay your welcome. WalMarts usually let peole park overnight and some other large box stores do as well. Truck stops are always a choice for a night or two, and most places don't bother you as long as you don't start trashing up their place.

There are several good RVing forums that are free to users, search the net for them and sign up, lots of info on them. I think you are correct that many are turning to RV's as an alternative place to live because of the economic problems our country is now facing.

We were full time RVers for more than six years and still consider ourselves as full timers even though we bought a home in SE AZ for wintertime. There are reasonable RV parks around the country, you just have to search for them and many County, State and Federal campgrounds are reasonable in price but usually have a time limit you can stay at one time.

Happy RVing and good luck.  8) ;D
Freedom is not free, but it is worth fighting for!

LindaH

• Old Timer
Re: My first motorhome
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »
You might be interested in reading Tioga George's blog, http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/.  He started out doing pretty much what you're planning on doing, although I think he spends most of his time now (at least during the winters) in Mexico.