RV Emergency Road Service

Author Topic: Auto insurance  (Read 10088 times)


  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
Auto insurance
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »
My husband and I are Almost Newbies, we hope to be starting our adventure by the begining of august. I am leaning towards SD as our home base and from what I understand we can register our cars there too. We have two vehicles, one will be a toad and the other wil be staying with my son here in VA, which he will be driving occasionally. I just wonder if there will be a problem with the auto insurance if it has SD tags but will physically be in VA.


  • Old Timer
  • *****
  • Posts: 97
Re: Auto insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »
Yes, you will have a problem...not with the insurance company, but, rather, with the state of Virginia.  An auto (or any vehicle) needs to be registered in the state where it is "garaged."  In the case of the car that will be staying in Virginia, you will need to register it there.  You will, therefore, have two different auto insurance policies:  One for your toad that will be registered in South Dakota along with your RV, and another for the auto that will stay in Virginia.